Friday, July 8, 2011

Dirt Cake



Yep, it looks like dirt!  I would never have tried this if not for one our good friends making it for a small group gathering awhile back.  I do not like chocolate pudding or Oreos but it works here.  I know, don’t even try to figure out my weird dislikes that I like in other forms…it makes no sense!  I love cool-whip (my hubby says I could eat a whole container plain!) and I guess with that addition and the cream cheese it just works for me!

The only change I made was splitting the recipe in half because there would only be 3.5 (.5 = toddler) people enjoying it and then I didn’t want the temptation to eat it all later.  It still made quite a lot so if you don’t have a big crowd I’d half it.  I put probably three quarters of the Oreos on the bottom and the rest on the top.  I also softened my cream cheese and butter.

Here’s what I found on sweet milk.  I love the internet….sometimes!

Recipe taken from – W.M.U Centennial Cookbook (1988)

1 large pkg. Oreo cookies
1 (8 oz) pkg. cream cheese
1 stick oleo
1 c powdered sugar
1 large ctn. Whipped topping
2 boxes or 7 oz Instant Jello-O pudding mix
3 c sweet milk
1 tsp vanilla

Crush cookies and put into 9x13 inch pan.  Save a handful of cookies for topping.  Mix cheese and butter together until smooth with electric mixer.  Mix in powdered sugar.  Fold in whipped topping.  In a large bowl, mix pudding with milk and vanilla.  Fold cream cheese in pudding and mix well.  Spread the saved cookies on top of mixture.  This may be frozen.

This would make a fun little boys birthday party treat or a fun pot luck dessert!

No comments:

Post a Comment