Monday, September 5, 2011

Mexican Casserole


My grandma makes something very similar to this and my husband LOVES it.  So, when I saw this in one of my cookbooks I knew I would have to give it a try to see if he loved it as much.  The verdict – he thought it was as good and me and scooter bill liked it too!  This will be a keeper and be made again.

I didn’t make any changes except for the cheese.  I mixed it into the mixture instead of putting it on top.  Not on purpose mind you.  Did you ever have those assignments in school were you got a paper to do and you started it all and answered all the questions and then at the bottom it said just sign and turn in!  Yeah, it was teaching you to read it all before starting and I never got it right.  So, that’s why I mixed the cheese in because I didn’t read the instructions entirely before starting.  But it didn’t matter and I think I’d probably do that next time too.  When I served it up I thought I probably shouldn’t have put the water because it was a bit runny but after it sat there while we ate it firmed up so probably just let it sit about 10 minutes before serving.  I also used a 13x9 dish and sprayed it with PAM .

Recipe taken from – Texas State Foster Parent’s Incorporated Cookbook (1989)
1 ½ lb. ground chuck
1 large onion
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can enchilada sauce, mild
1 can green chilies, small
1 c. grated Cheddar cheese
1 pkg. corn tortillas

Brown meat and onion in large skillet.  Pour off any fat.  Add remaining ingredients.  Tear tortillas into bite size pieces.  Put layer of tortillas on bottom of large casserole dish.  Pour ½ cup water over tortillas.  Add ½ meat mixture.  Put another layer of tortillas on top of meat mixture and add remaining meat.  Sprinkle grated cheese on top.  Bake at 400 for 10 minutes and reduce to 350 for 20 to 25 minutes.  Cover with foil for last 20 to 25 minutes.  Delicious.  This makes large oblong, Pyrex dish.

Give this yummy and easy casserole a try and make your hubby smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment