Thursday, September 1, 2011

Spicy Spinach & Artichoke Dip


This isn’t a true “oldie” but it is a goodie!  I got this recipe from a coupon booklet that had a Tabasco coupon in it.  The coupon has an expiration date of 12/31/02 so it’s at least that old!  I was in college at the time so me and my roomie decided to try it.  It is soooo good.  It’s the best spinach dip I’ve ever eaten.  I like others but none compare to this recipe.  I’ve never actually put the Tabasco sauce in it but I’m sure it’d still be yummy.  I don’t make it often enough but it makes more than two people can eat so I only get to make it when entertaining.

One of our favorite restaurants serves a spinach dip and they serve it with sour cream and salsa on the side and that is a yummy combination with it.

They have you stirring in a lot of things all at once.  I always do the cream cheese and sour cream first and get that good and incorporated then the cheeses then the spinach and artichokes.  It mixes a little easier not doing it all at once.

Recipe taken from – 2002 coupon booklet

½ c (1 stick) butter or margarine
1 medium onion, chopped (1 cup)
2 (10 oz) pkgs. Frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
1 (14 oz) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
1 (8 oz) pkg. cream cheese
1 (8 oz) pkg. sour cream
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
Salt to taste
Corn chips or crackers

Melt butter in a large saucepan or skillet over medium heat.  Add onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.  Stir in spinach, artichokes, cream cheese, sour cream, ¾ cup Monterey Jack cheese, ¾ cup Parmesan cheese, Tabasco Pepper Sauce, and salt.  Stir until well blended and heated through.  Pour mixture into a ½ quart casserole dish and top with remaining Monterey Jack and Parmesan cheese. Bake in a 350 oven until cheese starts to brown, about 10 minutes.  Serve with corn chips or crackers.  Makes about 4 cups.

Give this yummy appetizer a try and get your “healthy” dose of spinach in for the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment