Sunday, May 29, 2011

Chicken Spaghetti


I've always been on the lookout for a good chicken spaghetti recipe that is quick.  Every cookbook I got had several recipes in them for chicken spaghetti.  This one caught my eye because it had mushrooms and used cheddar cheese and not velveeta.  I still may try some of the other ones though to compare and see if there is a better one!

I did make some adjustments to the recipe though.  I only used 1 can of cream of mushroom soup and a half of stick of butter to sauté the veggies in and it took about 10 min to get them soft.  I also used 1 lb of chicken breasts cut up into small cubes which I cooked in 1 T of oil and 1 T of butter, 1 min per side.  I used a 16 oz package of spaghetti noodles.  I used a large skillet to cook the sauce in but then transferred it to the big pot with the spaghetti at the end and mixed it all together.  We did put more cheddar cheese on top before serving but I really don't think it needs it.  It has enough cheese and creaminess without the addition.

Overall, this was a good dish but it had a lot of dairy which my husband can’t tolerate as well.  So, I probably won’t be making it to often but I will make it again for sure.  It also heated up very well the next day…I thought it might have been even better.  Oh, and another positive our 20 month old loved it too!

Recipe taken from – Thalian’s Society Cookbook

1 c chopped green bell pepper
1 c chopped celery
1 lg chopped onion
1 can cream of chicken soup
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1 lg can pimientos
1 sm can mushrooms
3 cans Swanson’s chicken
2 T Worcestershire sauce
¼ c catsup
1 c grated sharp cheese

Sauté pepper, celery and onion in 1 stick of butter, 20 to 30 minutes or until tender.  Add soup, pimientos, mushrooms, chicken, Worcestershire sauce, catsup and cheese.  Simmer 20 minutes, stirring frequently.  Add 1 package of cooked spaghetti.  Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese when served, if desired, or melt cheese on top if desired.  Serves 6 to 8.

Give this unusual version a try and you just might be surprised!

No comments:

Post a Comment