Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies

What can I say about these!?  As a kid this recipe was a favorite of mine and my sisters.  It was something that didn’t require baking and was fairly simple.  It required ingredients that were always on hand so it was a go to cookie recipe.  My husband and I still make them when we want something quick and easy.  I don’t have a picture of these but I will put a picture of the page in the cookbook where these are.  You’ll be able to tell very quickly that these were a favorite!

Recipe taken from – Recipes from the “Heart of the Home” (1982)
2 c sugar
½ c coco
1 stick butter
½ c milk
2 ½ c oatmeal
Chopped nuts (if desired) (we never have put nuts)

In saucepan, combine sugar and coco, stirring until smooth.  Add milk and stir till moistened completely.  Add butter and heat to boiling, stirring constantly.  Boil rapidly for 2-3 minutes (to soft ball candy stage).  Stir in oatmeal and nuts.  Take off heat and stir till cool enough to dry on wax paper.  For vanilla oatmeal cookies, use same recipe, substituting 2 teaspoons vanilla for the coco.

We also always put peanut butter in ours about ½ cup.  If you choose to add peanut butter add with oatmeal.

I'm sure this is a familiar recipe to most but if not give these a try soon.  You'll love the taste and the quick making and cleanup!

No comments:

Post a Comment