Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Oatmeal Cake

I actually found this recipe on the internet a couple weeks ago and the description read “While going through my grandmother’s old tin box of recipes I came across this old favorite, handwritten by her, and oozing with memories”.  With that description and it having oatmeal in it (I’m a sucker for oatmeal recipes) I knew I had to make it!  As I was going through all my new found treasures (cookbooks) it happened to be in every one of them.  All the recipes are slightly different but I’m sure the outcome is still the same.  I’m not going to be making it again for awhile just for the fact that I have lots of other goodies to try!  So, I’m going to post it with one of the cookbooks recipes and then I’ll put the recipe I actually used.

The cake was really good.  For some reason it reminded me of German Chocolate cake but I think that’s because of the topping of nuts and coconut.

I had already put the oatmeal soaking in the water when I realized that ants had invaded my brown sugar so what’s a girl to do you ask.  Find a substitute off the handy internet!  I found this link and made the brown sugar and it worked perfectly!  Just make sure you keep blending until the molasses is incorporated really well.  And yes it will be stinky but it is still good I promise!

Recipe taken from – Local School PTA (1989)
Cake:
1 c quick cooking oatmeal
1 ¼ c boiling water
¼ c butter
1 c white sugar
1 c brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
½ tsp salt
1 1/3 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon

Topping:
1/3 c melted butter
½ c brown sugar
¼ c milk
1 c coconut
½ tsp vanilla
½ c pecans chopped

Pour boiling water over oatmeal and let stand 10 minutes.  Cream together butter, white sugar, and brown sugar.  Add mixture to oatmeal and then add: eggs, vanilla, salt, flour, soda, and cinnamon.  Blend well and pour into loaf pan.  Bake for 40-45 minutes or until done at 350.

Mix all topping ingredients together and spread over cake immediately after coming out of the oven.  Put back in oven under broiler until lightly browned.

Here is the recipe I used in making mine.  Give this one a try!  It sounds different but it's different in a good way!

No comments:

Post a Comment