Thursday, May 26, 2011

Zucchini Bread


I had some fresh zucchinis that I needed to use and just as luck would have it my new cookbooks had some zucchini bread recipes.  There was a sweet one and a savory one but since I had just done sweet strawberry bread I thought maybe I should do the savory bread.  My husband had a company dinner to go to so my son and I had leftovers.  Since I didn’t have to cook I thought I’d make the bread to have with our dinner the next day.  I just wish I could wave a wand and have someone do the dishes for me.  That’s the only part of cooking that I don’t like!  My sister and I did wish for a magic wand to clean our room for us once when we were little but it never came so we had to clean it ourselves!:(

We enjoyed this with our chicken dinner but I have to say it’s more of a quiche/casserole than a bread.   My husband loved it, me I liked it and our 20 month old son ate it at first but then didn’t want any more later.  Would I make it again?  If I had a garden with zucchini and it was coming out of my ears then yes but to go buy zucchini just for this probably not but my husband would say yes!

I grated the zucchini with a large cheese grater and I used canola oil.  I baked it about 40 min but I used a smaller pan (not much but a little) and I don’t think I would want to use a 9x13 because the pieces would be really thin.  It was a really easy dish to whip up and is a good use of an over abundance of garden zucchini.

Recipe taken from – W.M.U Centennial Cookbook (1988)

3 c zucchini (4), pared and sliced thin
1 c Bisquick
½ c chopped onion
 ½ c parmesan cheese
1 Tbsp parsley flakes
1 clove garlic, chopped fine
½ c oil
½ tsp salt
½ tsp seasoned salt
½ tsp oregano
Dash of pepper
4 slightly beaten eggs

Mix all ingredients.  Spread into a greased 13x9x2 inch dish.  Bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes.  Cool and cut into squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment