Friday, May 27, 2011

Deep South Baked Chicken

This was our first main dish out of the new cookbooks and it was good but not great.  I think with some tweaking it could be really good but the chips just didn't stick well so it didn’t make a nice crust.  We were basically eating baked chicken.  The marinade was good but I think next time I would put salt and pepper on the chicken before I breaded it.  Also, I think I would use egg and not butter for the dipping next time because once the cold chicken went into the butter the butter hardens back up which is another reason I think the chips didn't stick.  I’m also wondering if frying the chicken a couple minutes on each side would help the crust get crispy and golden before putting it in the oven?  Any thoughts?  If so please leave a comment!

The 1 hour baking time is also way off I used thick chicken breasts (1.5 lb for 2 breasts) and cooked it for 35 minutes and it was perfect.  Since I only used two breasts I halved the marinade and turned the chicken every hour.  I baked on aluminum foil on a cookie sheet.

Recipe taken from – Thalian Society’s Cookbook

4 chicken breasts, split in half
1 c lemon or lime juice
1 tsp salt
1 tsp white pepper
5 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp basil
1 c melted butter
3 c potato chips, crumbled

Mix juice, salt, pepper, garlic, and basil.  Marinate chicken in this.  Refrigerate for 4 hours.  Turn occasionally.  Remove chicken and pat dry.  Dip each piece in melted butter.  Roll in potato chips.  Arrange in greased, flat baking dish.  Bake uncovered, at 350 for 1 hour.

Give it a try to see what you think.  Please let me know if you have ideas on how to make a better crust.  I also think this would be a good marinade for grilled chicken…yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment