Monday, June 6, 2011

Apple Kuchen

I love anything apple that is a la mode!  I can’t really explain why because I don’t really care for the actual apples I just like all the crust and sugary goodness sauce that goes along with it.  My poor hubby knows if we see anything apple dessert wise on a menu I’ll probably get it if we have room for it.  Poor guy he’s so selfless giving up his chocolate for me to have my apples with ice cream!  Anyways, so I saw this and it sounded rather yummy and easy. 

We had family come in over the weekend so I got to make a few of my dessert recipes since I knew there would be plenty of people to help us eat them.  This was gone in 2 days.  Everyone really enjoyed it.  I’m the only one who put ice cream on it but that made it delicious in my book and yes I ate some of the apples but not all of them.

My few adjustments were to use butter instead of margarine and I did not let it get soft because all recipes that I’ve ever cut butter into anything it’s always been with cold butter.  To me soft would become a mess and not get a crumbly mix.  And then I just sprayed the pan with PAM which I’m glad I did because it still stuck a bit where I guess I didn’t get it good enough.  I used an offset spatula to spread around the sour cream mix and that worked well.  It covered a majority of the apples but as stated not all of them.  Also, note that even if it doesn’t look done after 25 minutes it is.  I was skeptical at first but it was perfect.

Recipe taken from – Heart of the Home (1982)

½ c soft margarine
1 box yellow cake mix
½ c coconut
1 (21 oz) can apple pie filling
½ c sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 c sour cream
2 egg yolks

Preheat oven to 350.  Cut margarine into cake mix until crumbly.  Mix in coconut.  Pat mixture lightly in ungreased 9x12 inch pan.  Build up slightly around edges.  Bake for 10 minutes.  Arrange apples on warm crust.  Mix sugar cinnamon and sprinkle on apples.  Blend sour cream and egg yolks.  Drizzle over apples (will not completely cover apples).  Bake 25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment