Friday, June 3, 2011

Peanut Butter Cookies

I’ve been craving peanut butter cookies for awhile now but just haven’t made them but the other day I decided I would give in and make some.  This recipe seemed like it wouldn’t make too many (made 21 cookies) and it would be quick so I thought I’d give this one a try.  They were super easy allowing my son to help!

The cook time for these cookies is way off.  I took mine out after 13 minutes and they were pretty crunchy.  I like crunchy cookies but I wish they were a little softer.  I would suggest 8 minutes for softer cookies or lower the temp to 350 and maybe 10 minutes.

Recipe taken from – Heritage Cookbook (1976)

½ c shortening
½ c peanut butter
½ c white sugar
½ c brown sugar (packed)
1 egg
1 ¼ c flour
½ tsp baking powder
¾ tsp soda
½ tsp salt

Mix shortening, peanut butter, sugar and egg together.  Sift flour, baking powder, soda and salt.  Blend in creamed mixture.  Roll 1 1/4” balls, place on cookie sheet 3” apart and flatten with fork (crisscross).  Bake about 15 minutes at 375.

Two ladies submitted this recipe and one of the ladies noted that she substitutes ½ c dry egg mix (packed) and ¼ c water for the egg.  She does not use baking powder and uses only ¼ tsp soda and ¼ tsp salt.
These weren’t packed with a peanut butter taste so if you like a milder peanut butter taste then these will be the perfect cookies for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment