Thursday, June 16, 2011

Chicken Casserole

Growing up my mom made a yummy chicken and rice casserole.  I asked her for the recipe and she gave it to me but it wasn’t as good as I remember hers being.  So, in my cookbooks there are lots of chicken and rice casseroles and I have plenty of them marked!  I chose this one first just because it’s the first one I looked at when making my grocery list and it sounded good.

The only thing I really did different is I used minute rice uncooked (approx 1 ½ c) in the dish and used more than a 1/3 cup of green peppers (probably ½ cup).  Everything else was the same.  I think next time I will sprinkle my chicken with salt and pepper though.  Oh, and I did add some shakes of pepper to the mix when I added the salt.

Overall, this was a good dish and easy as well.  We served with salad, toast, and the marinated carrot sticks.  I will make again unless I find one of the other ones I have marked is better!!:) 

Recipe taken from – Feeding the Flock (1988)

¼ c butter
¼ c flour
1 c chicken broth
½ c water
1 ½ tsp salt
1 (4.5 oz) evaporated milk
Cheddar Cheese
3 c cooked rice
2 ½ c diced chicken
1 (4 oz) can mushrooms
1/3 c green peppers
¼ c chopped pimento

Melt butter; blend flour; add broth, milk and water.  Cook and stir over low heat until thick.  Add salt rice, chicken and vegetables.  Pour into greased dish; bake at 350 for 30 minutes.  Add cheddar cheese.

Give this quick casserole a try.  The whole family will love it even the toddlers!

No comments:

Post a Comment