Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Texas Hash

This recipe was better than it looked!  While combining everything I thought ‘what have I done?’ but in the end it turned out pretty good.  We served it with mashed potatoes, green beans, and French bread.  I used only 1 onion and 1 bell pepper.  I can’t imagine two of each.  Hubby and I were talking about some of the measurements/times on these recipes and we figure people made them from memory so much that when they wrote them down they weren’t entirely accurate?!  I also used olive oil not shortening and one 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes.

Recipe taken from – Heritage Cookbook (1976)

2 large onion, sliced or finely chopped
2 green peppers, finely cut
3 Tbsp shortening
1 lb hamburger meat
1 tsp salt
2 c canned tomatoes
½ c uncooked rice
1 tsp chili powder
¼ tsp pepper

Cook onions and peppers in shortening until onions are yellow.  Add hamburger and salt; cook until mixture falls apart.  Add tomatoes, rice and other seasoning.  Arrange in large casserole.  Cover and bake at 375 for 45 minutes or until done.  Yield: 8 servings.

Note:  In any recipe that calls for cooked hamburger meat I always season it with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and some Tony’s.  This adds some seasoning in case the recipe is under seasoned as most are when dealing with hamburger meat I think.  And with this recipe I decreased the salt to ¾ tsp since I added some to the beef.

Don’t be intimidated by different – give it a try!!

No comments:

Post a Comment