Saturday, June 4, 2011

Spaghetti with Italian Sauce


There was a recipe similar to this in almost every cookbook so I decided it must be good and I guess this one caught my eye the most.

I followed the recipe as stated for the most part.  The few things I did differently is that I roughly chopped my onions and used probably 1 cup and I used a 4 oz can of mushrooms...I don’t even know if they make 3 oz anymore.  I also used one large can of whole tomatoes and one 14 oz can of diced tomatoes instead of 2 1lb cans.  This was actually really easy to throw together.  I had it done and simmering in 30 minutes which is always a hit in my book.  It was similar to spaghetti but with a bit more flair!

We all loved it and especially our son but he likes anything Italian.  I think this was probably my favorite so far!!

Recipe taken from - W.M.U Centennial Cookbook (1988)

½ c onion slices
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 lb. lean ground beef
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 (1 lb) cans tomatoes
2 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
1 (3 oz) can sliced mushrooms
¼ c chopped parsley
1 ½ tsp oregano
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp thyme
Dash of pepper
1 bay leaf
1 c water
Cooked Spaghetti

In large skillet, cook onion in olive oil until almost tender.  Add ground beef and garlic, brown lightly.  Add remaining ingredients, except spaghetti.  Simmer, uncovered, for 2 to 2 ½ hours or until thick.  Remove bay leaf.  Serve on hot cooked spaghetti.  Pass bowl of grated Parmesan cheese.  Serves 6.

Give this quick Italian meal a try soon.  It’s quick and oh so good!

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to make this one this week! I will let you know how we like it!

    ReplyDelete