Monday, June 13, 2011

Homemade Cheesecake

We were able to get 11 or 12 pieces about this size.

I love cheesecake so when I saw this easy recipe I marked it and put it on the list.  We were having a social for our Sunday school class small group and I volunteered to bring dessert since it would give me an opportunity to make this and not have this tempting dessert all to ourselves!  Good thing we had other people to share it with because I think I would have eaten the whole thing!  We brought 3 extra small pieces home with us and I ate two of them the same day!  My sweet hubby selflessly gave up the third piece!

The one major change I did was I added a graham cracker crust.  To me that’s one of the best parts of a cheesecake.  Luckily I had some frozen crumbled graham crackers from a previous pie so I just used those.  I think it was probably 9 whole graham crackers pulsed in the food processor with about 4 tbsp of melted butter to get it to stick together.  Bake about 5 min before adding the cheesecake mixture.

I brought the cream cheese to room temperature and I used light sour cream for the topping.  I was a bit hesitant with the cook time since I added the crust and do not know how to check to see if a cheesecake is done other than the fact that it’s not jiggly.  But 25 minutes was perfect. 

We also served with fresh strawberries instead of the cherry filling.  Yummo!

Recipe taken from – Thalian’s Society Cookbook

Cake Base:
2 (8 oz) pkgs. Cream cheese
2/3 c sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3 eggs

Topping:
1 (8 oz) carton sour cream
3 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 can cherry pie filling

Cream together ingredients in cake base.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each.  Pour into greased (Pam) 9 inch pie plate.*  Bake for 25 minutes at 350.

Mix together topping ingredients (minus cherry filling) and spread on top of cheesecake.  Return to oven for 5 minutes.  Cool and refrigerate.  Before serving, top with canned cherry pie filling.

Give this very easy cheesecake recipe a try but be sure you have people to share it with or you may just eat it all by yourself!

*I think my pie plate is a bit bigger than 9 inches but not sure how big it is because it doesn't say....sorry!

3 comments:

  1. It WAS delicious! I've never made a real cheesecake - do all of them have a "topping" that has sour cream in it? I certainly did not taste sour cream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks ladies for the sweet comments!
    Morgan, I don't think they all have the sour cream topping but some do...usually if there's a thin white layer on the cheesecake that's what it is. I know the Cheesecake Factory has it.

    ReplyDelete