Friday, June 3, 2011

Crock Pot Enchilada Stack-Up


I love all crock pot meals because they are easy to fix and clean up.  So, when I saw this recipe in one of the cookbooks I was excited to try a new crock pot recipe.  It was easy and my husband LOVED it.  He was very disappointed that he didn’t get to take leftovers to work because he was going to lunch with his boss.  I thought it was good but a little salty so I’ll decrease the salt to ¼ tsp next time. 

I cooked up the beef and onion mixture the night before to make it easier the next day.  I mixed it all together the following day.  We used flour tortillas and served with rice and beans.  I also used nearly the whole can of the green chilies (4 oz) and I only used 4 oz can of black sliced olives.  I also used a little more onion than suggested.  I used cheddar and monterrey jack cheese.  Our grocery store sells single cans of tomato juice so I just bought a 12 oz can of Campbell’s tomato juice and measured it out.  I might try red enchilada sauce next time.

Recipe taken from – W.M.U Centennial Cookbook (1988)

1 lb ground beef
½ c chopped onion
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
2 Tbsp chopped green chiles
1 ½ tsp chili powder
½ tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
Few drops of hot sauce
½ c slced black olives
4 corn or flour tortillas
1 c shredded cheese
¾ c tomato juice

In skillet, cook ground beef and onion until meat is brown and onion is tender.  Drain off fat.  Add tomato sauce, chiles, chili powder, salt, and hot sauce.  Stir in olives.  Trim tortillas slightly smaller than diameter of crock pot.  Add trimmings to meat mixture.  Place ¼ of meat mixture in bottom of cooker.  Top with 1 tortilla; sprinkle with ¼ coup cheese.  Repeat layers with meat, tortillas, and cheese.  Pour tomato juice around edge of stack-up.  Cover and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours of high for 2 to 2 ½ hours.  Cut into wedges and carefully lift out of cooker.

*I’m really not sure what is meant by “Add trimmings to meat mixture.” Since the recipe already mixed things together.  If you understand please fill me in!!

All in all this was a yummy quick and easy week night dinner.  So, when you’re pressed for time give this recipe a go!

No comments:

Post a Comment