Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Toasted Oatmeal Cookies

I think I’ve stated once already that I love any recipe that has oatmeal in it and so of course I knew I wanted to make these.  This recipe however called for still cut oats not instant so I was even more intrigued.

I followed the recipe exactly* and sadly the first batch got way overdone because again the baking time is way off.  The second batch I still did too long at 8 min so the next batch I did for about 7 minutes and 20 seconds which seemed to be perfect.  I think I’m going to start baking one cooking at a time until I get the right time because it seems that there may be a trend with the cook times being too long.

*I always type that and then when typing the recipe I see I did something different!  I used butter and not margarine is the only thing.  And I didn’t add the raisins.

Overall, these cookies were good.  They got eaten by the family we had in town so I guess that’s a good sign!  They reminded me of a bowl of oatmeal in the morning with cinnamon.

Recipe taken from – Wish Cookbook **

¾ c Bluebonnet margarine
2 ½ c raw oatmeal (not instant)
½ c flour (less 1 Tbsp)
1 tsp cinnamon
Raisins (optional)
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda
1 c brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract

Over medium heat melt margarine; add oats and sauté until lightly brown (about 5 minutes).  (Toasting the oatmeal adds a special flavor to these chewy cookies).   At the same time the oats are cooking, combine all other ingredients and beat until smooth.  When oats are cooked, immediately add the oats to the other ingredients and mix quickly.  Drop on cookie sheet and flatten.  Cook at 375 10 to 12 minutes.

If you love having a bowl of oatmeal in the morning for breakfast you’ll be sure to love these too!

**  This is from the Make-A-Wish Foundation of North Texas.  This is an amazing organization that was established to grant wishes of children between the ages of 2 ½ and 18 who have life threatening or terminal illness.  My family benefited through this amazing organization and we will be forever grateful.  If you ever are in need of a charity to donate to please keep Make-A-Wish in mind as they help kids dreams come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment