Thursday, June 9, 2011

Yellow Squash Bread

I had a couple of yellow squashes that had to be used asap so I decided I would give this recipe a go.  Believe it or not I followed the recipe exactly….well nearly I used canola oil instead of vegetable.  It was nice and easy so my son got to help yet again!!

As this was cooking it made the house smell wonderful.  I couldn’t wait to eat it.  To my surprise though it wasn’t overly sweet.  It was more subtle and the squash was undetectable but I knew it would be.  That’s the beauty of adding the squash you don’t feel as guilty eating the yummy bread because it has some veggies in it.

Recipe taken from - Local School Cookin' (1986) 

1 ½ c flour
½ tsp soda
2 tsp cinnamon
¾ c sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
2 eggs
½ c veg oil
1 1/3 cup shredded yellow squash

Combine flour, baking powder, soda, salt, and cinnamon.  Set aside.  Combine eggs, sugar, oil, and vanilla in large bowl, beat well; add squash.  Add dry ingredients; mix until moistened. 
Pour into greased and floured 9x5x3 loaf pan.  Bake 50 min at 350 degrees.  Cool in pan 10 min and remove to rack and cool.

If you have an over abundance of squash from the garden and you like more subtle of a sweetness then this dessert bread is for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment